Would Jesus carry an iPhone?


My iPhone and My Bible Reading Plan

For just over 3 months now I have been following a Bible reading plan that will take me through the entire Bible in one year.  The plan that I follow is on my mobile phone.  Most mornings I will sit down, pick up the phone and click until I get to the scripture for the day.  This past Tuesday I went to my plan and it wasn’t there!  I looked and looked and could not find it.  I messed with the settings and defaults.  I went to the internet and looked up the company that I got the APP from.  I found out that many other people were doing the same thing and were not able to get to their reading plans.  It seems that the company had just released an update and it didn’t work with the reading plan.  So we had to wait until they fixed it.  Well, it’s now Monday morning and it’s not fixed.  So all I can do now is read the Bible on the internet, or in printed from, or on my iPad, or listen to it on my phone or the cassettes at the office.
The Bible is not just a book written by people.  I believe that it’s inspired by God.  I believe that the words in the Bible are the words that God wants in the Bible.  That’s part of the reason that I don’t promote one particular translation of the Bible.  I read the ESV for personal use.  I preach from the NIV.  I read from the KJV for funerals and some weddings.  I study (some) from the Greek and Hebrew Bibles.  I own a Spanish and Luganda language Bible.
I remember one person who got very upset that we have different Bibles and insisted that we all read from the Bible that Jesus read from, the King James Version!  The only problem with that is that the KJV came out about 1,600 years after Jesus had already ascended to Heaven.  In fact, the entire New Testament wasn’t written until after Jesus was already gone from the earth!
I believe that the Bible is more than a book written by people over the course of time.  I believe that God supernaturally inspired the author’s of the Bible to write what they wrote.  I believe that God is still very involved in protecting the integrity of the words in the Bible.
Psalm 119:105 states, “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my soul.”  The Bible shows us the way in which we should go and gives us insight into ourselves.  No other book does that, but, then again, the Bible is unlike any other book.
The only way to not be changed and transformed by the Bible is to not read it.  That would be a shame.  We have the best access to the Word of God ever.  There has never been a time when it has been so easy to read and understand the Bible.

If you don’t follow a regular Bible reading plan I can help you find one that will fit you, or you can look them up on the internet.  The key is to follow it and read.

I could show you a bunch of resources, but this is the one I would use:  http://www.youversion.com/reading-plans/all

If you are looking for more.  If you want to read the Bible on your computer or tablet and also have commentaries, pictures, and other helps available you need to check this out.  (It's not free)



By the way - I don't receive any money for promoting these :)  I just think they are awesome resources to have.

The key to understanding God, life, and yourself is to consistently read the Bible.


So...would Jesus carry an iPhone?  I don't know.  Would He only read the King James version of the Bible?  Doubt it.  I do think that He is impressed with the work of many, many of His followers who invested their God-given talents and money into developing so many resources and printing so many Bibles.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously