Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

This is the last in the Authentic Manhood list.  Robert Lewis' 4 pillars are:

Reject Passivity
Accept Responsibility
Lead Courageously
Expect the Greater Reward

Moses was one who was looking to the greater reward.  Hebrews 11:24-26 states; "By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter.  He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time.  He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as a greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward."

Moses traded the earthly reward for the heavenly reward.  He traded the immediate success for the long-term success.

When I was in high school I drove a little 3 cylinder car called a Chevy Sprint.  It was tiny and would barely go 65 miles an hour.  One day someone pulled out in front of me and totaled my car.  It was sad.  I liked that little car because it was my first car.  My dad gave me two options for replacing the car, after all it was really his car.  I had two options:

Option #1: Drive my mom's station wagon and she gets a new car.  In two years when I graduate that new car will then go to me and mom get's the station wagon back.

Option #2:  Go buy a car for $2,000.  One that wouldn't be half as nice as my mom's new car.

I wanted to go with option #2 because I did not want to drive a station wagon.  My friend talked me into doing option #2.  He still made fun of my station wagon, but he told me to wait and get the better car for college.  I did it.  I chose to forego immediate satisfaction to wait for the greater reward.

My mom ended up getting a really nice little toyota sports car.  I drove that station wagon for two years of high school and then for the last week of high school I drove one of the nicest cars in the school parking lot.  I put over 100,000 miles on that car and even delivered pizza for almost three years in that car.  That car provided me with the money to get through college, buy my wife her wedding ring, pay for a honeymoon, and put food on our table.  What a great car and what a great decision.

Being a man has more to do with our heavenly reward than it does getting a nice car.  We work hard now because we know that our joy is made complete in our service to the Lord.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love your blog spot! Excited to hear you are adopting.
Merry Christmas~ Keli Coats

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously