The Shepherds

I have never worked in the sheep industry.  I have seen sheep and I have owned a couple of wool sweaters.  I have eaten lamb and I read about sheep (in the Bible) quite a bit.  If I met a modern-day Shepherd I don’t think we would have too much in common.    However I do relate to the Shepherds in the Christmas story.  They were out in their fields watching there sheep when an Angel appeared to them.  The Angel told them to go find a baby lying in a manger and worship him as the Savior.  The most amazing part of the story is that these Shepherds did what the Angel asked them.  In the middle of life and work, God reached out to them and they listened.  How busy are you?  How set is your life?  Is there room for spontaneity?  Is there room for God to speak in your life?  The Shepherds listened and their lives suddenly took on more meaning.  They became part of the Christmas story.


What story are you a part of?  Is there room for God to speak into your life?  Have you become so set in your ways or so busy that there is no room for God to move you?  When you pray do you pray for God to help you as you live life -or- do you pray that God would show you the path that your life needs to be on?  My life has changed a lot in the past year.  I have moved my family.  I have started a new job.  I have gone back to school.  My wife and I have decided to go through the long tiring process of international adoption.  Through all of this we have faced many obstacles.  My wife lived 20 minutes away from her parents and now lives 8 hours away.  I have had to balance living in a new town, meeting new friends, taking graduate level courses, preaching each week, and being a dad and husband.  We have faced financial trouble with not being able to sell our house and more.


I wouldn’t change any of it.  This year has been the best year of my life.  My life was fine.  I could pay all my bills and I was saving for retirement.  I had a fine job and lived in a fine place.  Jesus says, in John 10:10, that he has come to give us life and life to the full.  A fine life simply won’t cut it.  There is something better in store for each one of us if we choose to follow God.  I took him at his word.  So did the Shepherds.  The big question is, will you?  What does God have in store for you in 2010 and will you be a part of it?  There is a bigger story and you can be in it.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously