My experience with Joseph Kony

I am very happy for all of the attention that is coming to stop the child soldiers in Africa.  I really am.  It's crazy that it's going on.  I just went to a mall today that had an entire store devoted to shaving and yet there are thousands of kids that are grabbed from their homes and forced into killing.  Something's not right there.

Well my story didn't come about because of Facebook or my trip to Africa. It started when I watched a news program 5 or 6 years ago with some high school students. I don't even remember what the lesson was.  I remember that it was about Kony and it was horrible.  (Come to think of it, Bono was in it and he was really funny.)  We all felt helpless after seeing these kids taken from their parents and forced into killing. It was a haunting feeling. It was silent for a while. Then one student broke the ice and said, "what can we do about this?" I told him we need to pray and spread the word.  That certainly didn't seem like enough and it was almost embarrasing to say.  I think we all left feeling a bit overwhelmed.

The word is certainly getting out now.  That is awesome!  I am very thankful for this guy, his team, and their work.  I pray that Kony 2012 will draw enough of the world's attention to stop this guy.

If I could add one thing to my teaching on that night 5 years ago it would be this.  Ask God what He would have you do...continually.  Maybe your heart will be changed and you will feel a peace to abandon it for someone else as God's Spirit leads you elsewhere.  Maybe God will call you to adopt a child from Uganda.  (Hey that sounds fun!)  Don't ever limit what God can do in your life.

I am a simple guy who grew up in a small town in South Dakota.  Until a year ago, I had never travelled outside of the United States.  I am unimpressive in looks, a little bit pudgy, and have self doubts.  However, God has moved me and my family to adopt a boy from Uganda.

Maybe that's something you can do.  Seriously.  None of my high school friends would have ever imagined that I would be doing something like this.  It may seem like a big thing, but it's not.  You just take it a step at a time.

If you have a home to open up to a child (or another child) and there is a child that needs a home - why would you not let them in?  If there was an orphan on your door step you would probably bring it in your house, fall completely in love with them, and raise them.  It would increase the joy of your life.  So, why stop it because they are halfway around the world?

If you can parent, why would you not parent someone who needs it?  Just because it's hard to do and costs a lot doesn't mean you should stop or be scared.  Honestly, if God can use me - He can use you.

An entire store devoted to shaving and yet there are children at this hour dying.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously