The Perfect Song for My Life

I have been holding off on writing this one. Since we have moved from Omaha (1 million or so) to Cowden (650 or so), I have had a song going through my head. I didn't want to say anything about it, because everything seems so perfect for my family and me right now.

Today I went fishing for the first time in 6 years. I sat down on our picnic table in the backyard and geared up my pole and the pole given to me by my Grandpa. I also took his old net and unraveled it. I put the old poles, my tackle box and the net into my car and headed out to our new friends house. There I was led through a gravel road into a cornfield. He took me back to the pond and told me how his dad made this pond about 40 years ago. He told me that he had lived here for just over 60 years. He told me he couldn't dream of living anywhere else. I got out and I fished for about an hour. I didn't hear anything. There were no cars, nothing.

I walked out on the old dock and fished. There were bugs all around. It was super humid. There was a storm coming. Gary came back by and we talked a little bit. I followed him out of the clearing where the pond is and I looked up and there were two deer jumping and running to get cover from the coming storm.

I can't believe I live here. There are so many reasons that I made that statement. I knew that I needed a change. I knew that I needed to do something different. I knew that there was a different way for my family and me to live life. (I'm not naive either - I know that there will be times when living in a small town will be very tough. ie Sam's Club went from being 5 minutes away to being an hour away.)

Here are the lyrics for my life right now:

Six lanes, tail lights
Red ants marchin into the night
They disappear to the left and right again
Another supper
From a sack
A 99 cent heart attak
I got a poundin head and an achin back
And the camels standin in a big straw stack

Chorus:

Im gonna live where the green grass grows
Watch my corn pop up in rows
Every night be tucked in close to you
Raise our kids where the good lords blessed
Point our rockin chairs towards the west
And plant our dreams where the peaceful river cools
Where the green grass grows

Well Im from
A map dot
A stop sign on a blacktop
I caught the first bus that I could hop from there
But all o this glitter is gettin dark
Theres concreate glowin in the city park
I dont know who my neighbors are
And theres bars on the corner and bars on my heart

This is where I live. These are the people that God has placed in my life. I plan to learn everything that I can from these good people. This past week I have been studying the words of Jesus when He tells us to be the Salt of the Earth. I believe that when you are living as the Salt of the Earth you just feel pretty good. Simple, I know. (read the name of the blog)

Comments

Unknown said…
Tim,

Great Blog Post!! I can relate in so many ways. I look forward to your next blog.
Unknown said…
Couldn't agree more man, Small town life is great. Grew up in a small town and swore i'd never live in one and now i don't think i'd ever want to live in a city again. Wayne is small enough and we loved small, small town living in IL. Enjoy every minute man.
Andrew Zeaman said…
Tim, Nice Post. I really don't understand small town living, but my parents do. They were born and raised in Decatur (I guess you call that a big town) then they buy a farm and move down to Cowden. They see something in Cowden that they didn't in Decatur; a sense of community, pride in taking care of the town and nice people that will greet you anytime. Andrew Zeaman (Abby and Andy's son.)

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously