Just Be Yourself

I did my first-ever visit to a nursing home (or whatever you are supposed to call them). I met with a wonderful lady named Marge. She is 77 years old. We talked a bit and her daughter Debbie was there. It was very nice. I love meeting people - so this being a part of my new job is awesome and an unexpected blessing.

Right when I stepped in the door I said, "Hi my name is Tim Boyd and I am the new Pastor at the First Christian Church in Cowden. And don't worry I'm old enough to be there." She looked straight into my eyes and said "you can't be!" She shared with me about some of her struggle right now, and the joy she had with her kids. She told me how she met her husband of 59 years. She cried when she said he died 6 years ago. She really missed him. It was a wonderful conversation, unlike anyone I have had in a while.

Then I asked her if she had any advice for me. She laughed at the thought of it and then just as quickly as she laughed she straightened up and looked at me square in the eye and said "Just be yourself." Just be yourself. She isn't the first person to tell me that in the last month as I have transitioned from Omaha to Cowden and from associate pastor to senior pastor. Just be yourself. To me that means that I shouldn't go around worrying if people like me or think I am doing a good job. I shouldn't act like I know everything. I shouldn't try and be something that I am not.

Wouldn't life be a little easier if we would all just be ourselves? Jesus said "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." People who are pure in heart are honest people. They are honest with God, honest with themselves, and honest with other people. They know who they are and they do their best to be themselves. God only made one of you. Your kids will have no other mom or dad than you. Your spouse only has one spouse (hopefully!) There is no one else on earth who is connected to all the same people in the same way that you are.

Blessed are you who are just being yourselves. Blessed are you who are pure in Heart. You will see God.

Thanks Marge

Comments

Unknown said…
good stuff man,
a great encouragement. Glad to hear it's going well.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously