Jesus is no taller than I am

I got to meet a celebrity. Well, not really, but I got to see him play basketball. A few years ago Mindy got me tickets to the Timberwolves v Pistons game when they played an exhibition game in Omaha. I remember walking in to the stadium and seeing Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and of course, my favorite player, Kevin Garnett.

I loved watching the game and I had great seats. When the players ran back in to the locker room at halftime they ran right by me and I was so close I could have gotten high fives from them. I remember looking at them and realizing that they aren't as big in real life as they are on TV. Sure most of them are 6 inches to a foot taller than me. But they aren't as impressive looking as you would think they are just from watching TV.

Have you ever felt that? You build someone up so much and then you see them in real life they are the same size as you? Or you are actually taller than they are?

When Jesus came people were probably let down by Him. He wasn't that big and he wasn't probably the funniest guy in the room. Jesus didn't come looking like Tom Brady or able to wow us with his athletic ability like.....um....Tom Brady. For the Jews of that day, He didn't even come with weapons or horses or an army. The conquering King came to save us through His sacrifice and teaching on the Kingdom of Heaven.

"That's supposedly the Son of God? He's the one who's going to save us from the Romans? Really. He's no taller than I am."

Jesus didn't come in as a slick salesman or politician. He came to teach us about the Kingdom of Heaven. He came to die to save us. He came to forgive the sinners, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, and free the slaves.

I'm glad that we aren't saved because of how physically or mentally impressive Jesus was. I'm glad that we are saved because of how much He loves us. He proved that love for us when He died to give us eternal life and reestablish our relationship with the one true living God of the universe.

Thank you Jesus for having to live life like I do. Thank you for coming down to earth to teach and save us.

Comments

Dave Rowe said…
I'm generally taller than most people I encounter. I fantastic post nonetheless.
Unknown said…
Here's a title for your blog: I'm taller than Jesus. Yah, Jesus.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously