Last weeks Sermon and this weeks Sermon

9/13 Sermon Recap: (Matthew 6:19-24) A life without Jesus’ clear guidance and forgiveness is a life without freedom. Real freedom comes when we are slaves to Jesus Christ. Jesus taught that you can not serve two masters. It’s God or the world. The world is about success and selfishness. The world teaches us we need to stick up for ourselves and try to squeeze out as much happiness as we can. Jesus teaches that we need to quit running around trying to eek out happiness when true Joy comes only from our Heavenly Father. True joy and freedom come when we are with God. When we recognize God as the Creator and sustainer of life we then have the basis to live life fully. When we leave God out of any area of our life, we leave out the healing and guidance that we need.


9/20 Sermon: (Matthew 6:25-34) The title for the sermon this week is “What should I wear?” When I got the call to preach a try-out sermon here that was one of the first questions that I asked people. So I called Kim and asked her what I should wear. When I went to Seminary, a few weeks ago, I had to decide what to wear. I wore jeans. I pulled into the parking lot and saw three people wearing dress pants. “Is there a dress code?” I thought to myself. I worry about dumb things. Guess what? You do too. We all do. Jesus continues to teach us this week that the outside is not as important as the inside. What we wear and what we eat shouldn’t be the driving factors of our life. Who wants a grave stone with “Tim loved Whoppers” or “Here lies Tim Boyd - He had some very nice dress shirts.” If we can all laugh at the absurdity of those grave stones, why do we spend so much time worrying about all the things in life that will be gone once we die? Jesus teaches that we shouldn’t. What’s more important than those things? We will find out.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously