The Wager - God, Satan, and Job

Sunday we were able to take an overview look at the story of Job.  The sermon can be found here.

I love the story of Job.  I really mean that.  Not in the "I love everything in the Bible always!"  type of way.  But in the "I can relate to Job because I'm pretty sure that I have suffered unjustly and had many questions for God" type of way.  I respect Job.  I respect him because he...just....takes....it.  Not in a weak way, but in a way that you can only understand if you have a deep faith in the goodness of God and a strong trust in God.  I respect God.  I respect God in this story.  Through all the valid questions that Job and his friends have about suffering and God's involvement, God doesn't pander to Job.  God doesn't answer the questions directly.  God doesn't explain to Job what happened in the Heavenly scenes between Him and Satan.  God doesn't "weep when Job weeps."  (Sorry Rob Bell.  Fastforward to :57).  God answers Job by questioning him.  He treats Job with respect as a mature adult.  "Job you don't know all the answers."

Here's a little from the sermon:

The earth was unaware of the conversation in Heaven.  Everything in Job’s life was peaceful and serene.  He was in good standing with God.

Then Satan unleashed the best worst that he could muster.  4 messengers came and told him increasingly worse news.  Satan didn’t hold back and went for it.

Satan has challenged God with this question, "Does a person worship God out of genuine love or primarily for God’s blessing?"

Satan had already answered that question or he never would be doing any of this.  If he could break God’s poster child he could show God that people were all selfish deep down.  That they weren’t any better than he was.  That the crowns of God’s creation were nothing like their Creator.  They were selfish.  They would love and care, up to a point, and then they would protect self.  Satan is trying to prove that love does not really exist.

Well, does it?

1 Corinthians 13:5 - Love is not self-seeking.  Love cannot have conditions tied to it.  No conditions.

How do we respond to tragedy?  When it does not work out like we had planned?   When life deals us tragedy?  When the worst happens?  When grief and despair seem like a new way of life?

Maybe Job answers in the most healing way.  He takes his focus off of self and states, “Naked I came and naked I shall depart.  The Lord be praised.”

No matter what happens...I love God.  That's either insanity or faith.

How would I respond?  Do I love God?  Or do I love God with conditions?  (I don't believe love can have conditions).  So, do I love God or don't I?  Simple question.

Do I love my wife or don't I?  Simple question.  Do I love my wife without conditions?  Simple question.  If I love my wife with conditions - then I don't really love her.

Love is unconditional....no....matter....what.  I like the story of Job because he shows that their is no ulterior motive for the worship of God.  It seems like our world is always looking for the "real reason" or motivation for many of the selfless acts that people do.  Maybe there isn't an ulterior motivation.  Maybe love is real.

It is.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously