Next Teaching Series - "Generous"

So I knew that I needed to preach a series on money at some point.  I've been at Westside Christian Church for just over a year now.  So, it's totally time right?

I know it's needed.  One of the biggest struggles that we (all people) share is a struggle with money.  We work for it.  We need it to take care of ourselves and those we love.  We need it to exist in our society.  Way more reasons, you get the point.

I know it's important because their are tons of teachings found in lots of different books within the Bible that have to do with people and money.  If I avoid teaching about money than I am avoiding teaching a major theme from the Bible.

But I didn't want to do it.  I didn't want people to think "all the church cares about is money."  And other things like that.

So I prayed about and biblegateway'd all the scriptures that have anything to do with money.  The theme that I was surprised to pick up was that God really wants us to be generous.  It's not so much about giving money or using money well.  It's a deeper issue.  Am I a generous person?  If I'm generous in one area of my life I am probably generous in other areas too.

God wants us to give and to rely on Him to give to us.  He wants us to give our money, our time, our gifts, our talents...and even our lives to His service and the care of other people.  It should be fun really investigating this theme with the church family.

These are the 4 scriptures that we will be looking at over the 4 weeks of the Teaching Series:

2 Corinthians 9:10-11
Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

1 Timothy 6:17-18
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Tim Boyd
Lead Pastor
Westside Christian Church - Bradenton, FL

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously