Fill a Suitcase to Build a Library

Me and Ivan
Well I can't quit thinking about Uganda.  I have updated the pictures on my computer, my iPad and my iPhone.  I am still reading the local newspaper The New Vision every morning.  Mindy has been working with our good friends trying to figure out how to get everything done for the adoption.  God has answered so many prayers for us that it's hard to keep them all straight.  But this is not a blog about us...

When we were in Uganda we were picked up by Ivan the Pastor of the church associated with the orphanage that we are working with.  He let me preach.  So we instantly became friends!  I have a lot of respect for Ivan.  He asked me if there were old books that my friends would have that would be good for him and his pastor friends to use for study while they preach and teach the Bible.

I think we can do better than that.  This is a call to all of my friends.  I would like to load a suitcase up with some of the best study guides and study books that we have.  If you would like to donate your favorite study resources to me I will take them to Ivan.  If you would rather send money, you can send it to me through paypal and I can buy the books at cbd.com or amazon.com.  If you send money please let me know what book to get him.  I can't buy books over there and I don't want to just give him cash.  I want to give him a special gift of books from my American friends.

Ivan is a fan of Arsenal (soccer)
Crazy thought - What if we raised enough money in the next couple of weeks to buy him Logos Bible Software and a laptop computer to run it from?  We would need to raise about $3,000 total in the next few weeks.  Would your church want to do that?  That would be hundreds of books and resources for him!

Ivan doesn't just plan on using this for himself either.  His vision is to create a library for himself and other Pastors in that area.  Ivan travels and helps other christian Pastors all over that region.  Just imagine what can happen with some books!

If you want to send money go to our adoption page and click "donate now" on the paypal link.  Please denote that it is for books for Ivan not for our adoption expenses.

If I have to pay to bring another bag - I'll gladly pay it to get our best resources to Ivan!  We are hoping that we will be flying to Uganda within the next two months.  So you have a few weeks to do this if you would like to be a part of filling a suitcase to build a library!

My USPS mailing address:

Tim Boyd
PO Box 159
Cowden, IL 62422

-or if by FedEx or UPS-

404 E Locust
Cowden, IL
62422

Comments

Joel Miller said…
Tim: When are you going back? I have several books here that I've been accumulating for Ivan, including some great study Bibles and several study and reference books.
Joel Miller said…
Tim: When are you going back? I have several books here that I've been accumulating for Ivan, including some great study Bibles and several study and reference books.
Unknown said…
(I already replied to Joel via Facebook - if you are wondering!) Things are going well with this. I have had a pretty good response from my friends. I have some books on their way and some people have promised to send some cash. One person is ordering books and having them shipped to me. That's pretty cool.

Still working on the laptop with the software. That's pretty expensive, so we'll see how it goes. I am going to approach my missions team at church and see if they would like to help out. Maybe you can approach your missions team for a one time gift.

Thank you so much for getting the word out. We had over 150 people read the blog post yesterday.
Unknown said…
I just received 5 brand new books! The person who sent them bought them online and had them shipped to me. I found 3 in my library so far and someone else gave me 2. So we are up to 10 books right now.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously