Yours not mine

I have been dealing with selfishness a lot lately.  My selfishness.  Mindy and I had a pretty long conversation about things yesterday.  It was very good and very hard.  Selfishness has been on my mind for a long time (not intended as a joke, but works well as one!)  I heard a sermon where a guy said that all sin is selfishness.  We are putting ourselves, our problems, our passions, and our selves in front of others.

Jesus famous statement:  Love the Lord your God with everything that you have and love your neighbor as yourself.  But Jesus, who is my neighbor?  Oh.  Right.  Everyone (including my wife and kids).  Hmmm.

So in my car this morning God spoke words into my heart.  "Yours, not mine."  Everything is God's meaning that everything is not mine.

My wife....yours, not mine.
My daughter Grace....yours, not mine.
My son Willy....yours, not mine.
My daughter Eden....yours, not mine.
My sermon....yours, not mine.
My church....yours, not mine.
My job....yours, not mine.
My giftedness....yours, not mine.
My house....yours, not mine.
My clothes....yours, not mine.

As I was passing through Decatur I was praying this and as I turned to come to Lincoln God opened my eyes further.

My selfishness....yours, not mine.
My burdens....yours, not mine.
My lack of patience....yours, not mine.
My insecurity....yours, not mine.
My disappointment in myself....yours, not mine.
My feelings of being overwhelmed....yours, not mine.
My sin....yours, not mine.
My sin....yours, not mine.
My sin and everything that comes with it....yours, not mine.

God thank you.  It is all yours, not mine.  The good and the bad are all yours, not mine.  Thank you for sharing with me.  Thank you for being with me in every area of my life and heart.  Thank you for speaking to me when I don't seem to every shut my mouth.

Try the prayer.  It may not be God's word to you right now.  It certainly is timely for me and it is a prayer that I will continue for quite a while.  Thank you God.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am so blessed to be married to a godly man. I am blessed that you seek after God regardless of your or our situation. Praise God that all that is His and not mine or yours. Have a great day at school and I'm looking forward to seeing you later.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously