Ants

Not long ago I wrote about Tim McGraw's song and how it is the song of my life right now. There is a line that talks about watching cars and it compares them to ants moving to the left and the right. My favorite band is the Dave Matthews Band and they have a song "Ants Marching." I have been struck with ants.

He wakes up in the morning.
Does his teeth, bite to eat and he's rolling
Never changes a thing.
The week ends, the week begins.

She thinks, we look at each other
Wondering what the other is thinking,
But we never say a thing.
And these crimes between us grow deeper.

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time.
Lights down, you up and die.

Goes to visit his mommy
She feeds him well, his concerns
He forgets them.
And remembers being small
Playing under the table and dreaming...

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die.

Driving along this highway
All these cars and up on the sidewalk
People in every direction
No words exchanged,
No time to exchange when
All the little ants are marching.
Red and black antennae waving.
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way,

They all do it the same way. Powerful line.

They take these chances and put them in a box until a quieter time. What do you know you need to do, but are putting off for a quieter time?

I have been an ant. I have mindlessly lived life. I have done things because they seem right to me. The Bibles states that there is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. When I turn off my mind and just stumble along with everyone else I am dying.

I hope that I quit being an ant.

Comments

Hey Tim,

I just discovered your blog. Cool stuff. It's wonderful that you are going back to school to get your masters. My husband did that about 2 years ago...it was a 3 year extension program so he was working full time as well. It's not an easy road but you will be SO glad you did it (and that it's all over!) The song you posted was really cool...reminded me of an old church camp song called "little boxes". Do you remember it? It's the exact same idea as the Dave Mathews song. (Maybe that's where he got the idea....hmmmmm).

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously