Painters paint

I was reading this morning and came across these sentences...

"Give painters a room full of canvasses and they will paint.  Why?  Because they are painters."

That's one of those ideas that could be seen as totally stupid or super deep.  I like to see it as both.

It's stupid.  Painters paint.  That's why they are called painters.  OR Painters paint because they have to paint and ,therefore, they are called painters because of a calling or desire they have.

It's deep.  What would I do in a room full of canvasses?  I wouldn't paint.  I'm bad at it and I don't like to paint.  So, what's my canvass?  How would this phrase play itself out better for me?  That led me to this thought.

If you suddenly found yourself in a room full of other people that you didn't know....

...what role would you take?
...what would you want them to see you as?
...what would you tell other people about yourself?
...what would your goal be in that situation?

I'll answer the questions for me.  I would want to be the leader.  I would want them to see me as some cool, mysterious guy who should be in charge.  I would tell them very little about myself so as to appear cool and mysterious.  My goal would be to become the leader.  (Did I just describe the premise of the TV show Lost?)

Ah, I got it.  My canvass is thought.  I'm a terrible philosopher.  And that either makes me stupid or deep.  Yes, I like to think that I am both.

Painters paint and thinkers think.  I can't paint.  So....

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously