"He went down with them"

I'm working on my sermon and I came across this phrase that I have ready many times and completely skipped in order to get to the "good stuff."

Luke 6:17, "He went down with them and stood on a level place."

I have been told that God has not listed any stupid details in the Bible.  That means that everything, including direction, weather, titles, etc, is pertinent to the story.

Jesus went down with them and stood on a level place.

Jesus went down...

Where was he?  He was down.  He was not up.  He was not looking down.  He was not above.  He had to descend.  He had to go from up there to down here.

Jesus went down...with...

He did not just go down there.  He went down "with."  He went down there to be with.  It was not just Jesus looking down on the people.  No he left up to go down with.

Jesus went down...with...them...

Jesus went down with them.  He did not just go down.  He didn't just descend.  He descended to be with them.

It get's better.

Jesus went down...with...them...and stood on a level place.

Jesus left Heaven and stood with people on a level place.  He is our brother.  He stands with us.  The love of Jesus is unfathomable.  He stands with us.  He sees us.  He sees you.  He knows you.  While you are still stuck in your sin - He loves you.  While I am still stuck in my sin and wayward heart, my unbelief, my selfishness, my temper, my doubt, my fear, my stuff - He went down with me and stood on a level place.

He is not a distant Savior.  He is not in the imagination.  He is real.

And He stands with you on a level place.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously