Stupid Parenting Magazine and Christian-speak

This morning I was thumbing through a parenting magazine and I read an amazing tip.  This medical doctor gave the following advice for parenting.  Paraphrased by me.

"When you are on the phone and your 3 year old child is trying to talk to you tell them to do something else and you will be right with them.  For example you can say something like this, "Mommy is on the phone right now please go play with your blocks and when I am done I will come talk to you."  When you are off the phone make sure to find them and reward them for listening to you."

That is groundbreaking advice.  I would have never thought of that on my own.  "Excuse me Doctor?  Um, what happens when my child starts screaming because I won't talk to her?"  "Also, Doctor do you by any chance have a phone AND a child?  I don't think that you do."

Do you give advice like this?  Please stop.

I read this and I immediately think of all the christian catch-phrases that we tell people.  It is very easy for us to read the bible and assume that it applies very easily to all people in all circumstances.  Life is very messy.  People understand things very differently.  Please don't think that you are helping people just by giving them good advice.  Do you really think that anyone read that piece of advice and thought to themselves that it was a good idea?  I don't.  I can not believe that it made it past the editors.

It did give me a good laugh.  I will probably quote that a lot in my lifetime.  Please don't let your christian-speak tiny pieces of advice be someone else's good laugh.

No 3 year old is cool with being put off.  Teaching your child to show respect when you are on the phone is something that happens before and after the phone call.  It's a lot bigger issue isn't it?  Whatever your neighbor, co-worker, or friend is going though is a lot bigger than what you can see from your perspective.  Treat them with respect too.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously