No Training Wheels

Yesterday I had the joy of watching my almost 5 year old boy ride his bike without training wheels.  He could not have been more proud of himself.  I admit I was pretty proud too.  He could finally ride on the grass and rocks without getting slowed down by the training wheels.

He has always loved to ride his bike and now he loves it even more.  I asked him why he liked it so much and he told me because he could go fast and could ride through grass.  I think he was describing the new freedom that he had.

Two days ago when I took off the training wheels he was very afraid to get rid of them.  He was mad that I was taking them off and told me that he couldn't do it.  The training wheels had been eaten through and they were turning in to training blocks.  His bike was super loud and he could not keep up with his older sister.  He got mad at me and cried.  I finally convinced him to try it.

"On the grass dadda."

"Alright - try it on the grass."

He took off and rode all the way around the house.  He was beaming with pride at his new found freedom.

Then yesterday he was an old pro.  He was riding all over shooting imaginary "bad guys" and having motorcycle races.  He was free and happy.

"Jesus called a little child and had him stand among them.  And he said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven."

I liked watching Will ride his bike with no training wheels because he was so happy.  The world was right for him.  He had no cares.  He just loved riding his bike.  He could not have been happier or more content.  The freedom on his little bicycle was all that he needed or cared about.

Can I please live like that?  Can I find freedom in living my life?  Can I come to a place where I have taken off the training wheels?  Can I get to a place where I am free again?  Not a vacation, but a life of freedom.

Yes I can.  It's called the kingdom of Heaven.  In order to enter it I have to learn from my children.  I have to quit worrying and live in the moment in the freedom of God.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously