Max Lucado Study Bible - My Guilty Pleasure

12 years ago I joined a book club where you could get 12 books for the price of one with no obligation. So I got the books and then dropped out of the club. I was 18 - don't judge me. One of the books that I got was the Max Lucado Inspirational Study Bible. It's funny because the words "Max Lucado" appear as big as the word "Bible." I read this Bible when I was working at a camp in Duluth, MN. So then I went to Bible College and I took duct tape and covered up the "Max Lucado" part because I was embarrassed (and still am). I wanted people to think that I didn't need Max Lucado's help.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Max Lucado. I think he is doing a great thing through his books. They have touched a lot of people and rightly so. He also has a line of children's movies that my kids love and it teaches them good Godly values.

I am a small person, because I want people to assume that I read a Hebrew and Greek Bible so that I can really understand what God is teaching me so that I can tell others. I already said that I am a small person.

The truth is is that anyone can read and understand the Bible with just a little bit of help. Honestly that's why I love this Bible so much. You read a chapter and then there is a short little background, explanation, and devotional thought. It's really a great concept for a person like me. I want to know what I am reading and who is writing this. I want to know the background of this message and who is supposed to hear it. I then want to know how they heard it. I want to know what it meant to the people that were supposed to read it first. Then from there I can apply it to my life situation. It looks like this:

1. Who wrote it
2. Why did they write it (ie: answer someone's question? speak for God? etc)
3. What was the world like in their area when they wrote it?
4. How did the people of that day take that message? What did it mean to them?
5. What does that mean to me? How does this relate to what's going on in my life?
6. Done and done

It's really not that hard. If an 18 year old college-drop out could understand a Max Lucado Inspirational Bible.....so can you.

As a matter of fact, I just started reading this Bible again a few months ago and I love it! This may remain my personal reading Bible for the rest of my life (and I will never admit it again).


Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said…
You dropped out of college?
Unknown said…
I dropped out of the first college. You knew that :)

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously