First Sermon Series Ever!

So I am finally preaching a sermon series. That's the reason I'm back on the blog-wagon. I start my sermon series August 2nd which is my first Sunday serving as Senior Pastor of First Christian Church in Cowden, Ill. It's cool because I am starting with a blank slate (at least for me). Through a lot of thought and prayer I decided to start off with Jesus' first sermon the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew 5-7. I broke it up (with help from my Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary) into 12 sections.

So I told Alex (the Youth Pastor) that I have decided to start off teaching with Jesus' first recorded sermon and Al replied, "So you are comparing yourself to Jesus?"

Hmmm. If I did compare myself to Jesus I would fail miserably. I want to start out on the same page with everyone and I can't think of a better place to do it then with the person of Jesus and his first teaching to us.

I'm crazy excited about this.

Comments

Justin Raulston said…
I'm excited for you man! Glad your blogging again. I switched over to wordpress and started again this week as well. Hope all goes well.
Unknown said…
That's funny - I saw that you had a blog and added it to my feed. :)
Matt Murphy said…
although it was my second series at my new church, i am doing the sermon on the mount too. The first series was about the present kingdom and then i thought i should teach about what Jesus taught about living in the kingdom, sermon series are fun
This is very exciting stuff. I wish you the best as you begin this new venture. I remember well when I was a new pastor (just two years ago). I learned many hard lessons by falling on my face. If you want to learn from my mistakes, just let me know.
Unknown said…
Great place to start, Tim. Those chapters are crucial if we're serious about living and leading like Jesus. Good luck in your new ministry...

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously