Don't watch the baby choke

Last night most of the family was sitting in the living room just hanging out after finishing work, homework, chores, etc.  I was on the couch trying to keep my eyes open as I was going over some homework stuff with one of the kids.  I think it was multiplication flashcards.

I looked down to the floor where Silas (my Kindergartner) was saying something to Wesley (the baby).  What he said didn't quite register at first.

"Wesley what are you eating?"  Silas says.

I looked over and thought nothing of it.

"Wesley what are you eating?"  Silas says again.

Uh oh!  I jumped off the couch and ran over to the baby.  I saw him chewing on something so I grabbed him and started digging around in his mouth.  I was shocked when I pulled out a full-size sticker!  He could have very easily choked on that sticker had he tried to swallow it.  The damage in that situation could have been major.

I told Silas I was proud of him for saying something.  If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have even noticed.

Later as I was explaining the story to my wife, the rest of it came out.  My wife looked at Silas and said, "I told you to put that sticker away so that Wesley wouldn't get it."

There it was.

I am faced with this challenge a lot.  Here's how I would describe it:

I screw something up.  I know what I did was wrong.  I know that my carelessness or lack of foresight has made a bad situation happen.  I am the cause of this problem and I am ashamed.  I'm scared of punishment or judgement.  I feel terrible.  I'm afraid someone will find out.  However, I am also the one who discovers the bad situation that I have created and I am the only one who knows.  I am now faced with two opportunities:

1.  Admit that I messed up really bad and run and get someone to help me fix the problem before something terrible happens no matter the cost to me.

-or-

2.  Watch the baby choke.

I understand that I have explained this in a very dark way, but that's the weight of the options as I see them.

Silas is 6.  He doesn't have the mental capacity to see it that way.  When facing similar situations in my life, what's my excuse?

How many times in my life have I let my shame or guilt stop me from pointing out a problem that I have created?  How many times have I let bad things happen because I didn't want anyone to find out that I have screwed up?

Don't let your own fear or shame convince you to stand idly by and watch the baby choke.  If you have the ability or vision to help you must help, no matter who caused the problem.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously