Our family's summer project

So there we all were.  Well, we weren't all there.  We were all home.  Each child somewhere in the house doing something.  One on a phone.  One on a game.  One on the computer.  Occasionally they would interact.  They would rotate.  They would group up and go outside for some swimming, jumping on the trampoline, etc.

And I sat there hoping we wouldn't lose this summer.

Our Channel
Our family will never again get a chance to live summer 2016.  The first summer with a teenager in our ranks.  The first summer with baby Wesley.  The last summer before middle school for one and the last summer before kindergarten for another.  It's a special summer.  Shouldn't we do something special?

My wife and I talked about it for a few weeks.  Really, it's a conversation that is always ongoing though.  How do we "family?"  How do we create memories that will shape these kids?  How do we get everyone to build solid relationships with each other?  How do we use this day while it's "this day?"

So we decided to ask the kids if they want to do a youtube show.  (I'm not sure if that's even what you call it.)  This was a quick decision as well as one that's been marinating for a long time.  I remember my wife, months ago, saying that our 8 year old's dream would be to have a youtube show.  At first I didn't like that at all.  So I started to ask people about it and I started to read about it.  I started to try to understand that world.  As I became more familiar with it I grew more comfortable with it.

So we asked and they all said, "yes!"  They come up with the ideas.  They are the stars.  They capture footage, edit, and make decisions.  Dad and mom are still very much involved in the whole process, but the kids are the driving force.

We are two weeks in and it's been a great experience for our family.  It required me to get outside of my interests and my comfort zone.  It required me to learn something new.  It has required patience and letting go of control.

What are our goals with this?  My goal is for us to have a shared experience as a family and learn lessons together in real time.  Also, we are pretty good at being a family.  We like to invite people into our family to see the love we have for each other and the love we have for Jesus.

To the parent reading this:

Let me encourage you to get up and try something with your family.  I'm being completely honest when I say that I have more desire to just come home from a stressful day at work, grab a soda, and plop my butt onto the couch in the little room off of our master bedroom...and hide from everyone.  I don't come home with the attitude of "what amazing things can we do as a family tonight?!"  When I get home I am tempted to just "run out the clock" until bedtime.  But the past two weeks have been very rewarding.  It's pretty incredible to see a teen interacting with little brothers and sisters.  Plus, the challenges that they have come up with are really fun to watch!!

Energy is a funny thing.  When I'm sitting on the couch I run out of energy.  Once I get up and get moving and get involved in something, that energy comes back.  It requires a lot of energy to be an involved parent.  God will give it to you.  He wants your kids to have good parents as much as you want be a good parent.


Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously