4 Promises of Forgiveness


How do you know that have really forgiven someone?  This is a tough concept for me.  Have I forgiven someone if I still can't stand to look at them?  Have I forgiven someone if I have just completely stopped thinking about them?  

I recently ran across a great insight.  I haven’t seen someone define forgiveness in this way before.  If you want to forgive someone you need to have these 4 promises in place.  These are 4 promises that you need to make to the person you are forgiving.  (It’s not that you have to tell them this, but you need to keep these in your own mind.)

1. I will not think about this incident.
You must train your mind to stop dwelling on the incident or offense; think about something else, pray, remember a blessing, dwell on God.

2. I will not bring this incident up and use it against you.
Generally, this one is prefaced with, “Well, I didn’t want to have to bring this up...”

3. I will not talk to others about this incident.
Gossip is the fuel that allows the fire to burn down the whole town.

4. I will not allow this incident to stand between us or hinder our relationship.
I will not punish you for the rest of your life.

I guess I could ask myself these questions and that may help me to understand if I've truly forgiven someone.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously