This is why you are getting "invited to church" by those people who "go to church"

I'm writing this blog because this picture pretty much sums up what I think you think when I invite you to church!  :)
Obviously I can't speak for all of us.  But I do think I can speak for many of us.  You know us.  We go to church.  We don't secretly go to church.  But we also don't "loudly" go to church.  We aren't posting extreme messages on Facebook or "liking" all the Jesus pictures on Facebook either.  (Although we really like Jesus - like a lot.)  No, we just go to church because we like Jesus in real life.

We aren't weak.  Seriously.  We are weak at times, but we don't go to church because we are weak.  We aren't inviting you to church because we think you are weak.

We aren't broken.  Well, we are broken in some ways, but overall we are fairly together.  We don't go to church because we are broken.  We aren't inviting you to church because we think you are broken.

We don't believe that we are right about everything.  We don't believe that you are wrong.  We aren't inviting you to church so that you will be right.

We don't live with a constant fear of hell.  Really I don't wake up every morning praising God that I won't be in hell for eternity because Jesus has saved me.  (I do believe that - I just don't dwell on it.  I spend much more time thinking about how Jesus loves me for who He has created me to be.  I thank Him for His constant work in my life and in my family and friends.  I think about the mission that He's given me to care for all people and help them to find completeness in Him.)  We're not inviting you to church so that you don't go to hell.  (Although we totally don't want you to go to hell - for real.)

Why are we inviting you to church?

I'm inviting you to church because I believe the best, most fulfilling, and most beautiful way to live is to live in complete love and acceptance.  That's what Jesus has given me.  He forgives me.  He doesn't leave me.  He will always be there for me.  He comforts me.  He provides me with unending and real hope.  He gives me value.  He asks a lot of me.  He believes that I'm stronger than I think I am.  He works through me.  He lets me rest.

He gives me hope.  He redirects me.  He keeps me from the incredibly painful effects of pursuing sin.  He corrects me.  He doesn't let me settle for anything but the best.  He calls me to fulfill my special place in this world.

He gives me the tools, teaching, and confidence to love others more than I love myself.  He gives me what it takes to love my wife and kids.  He gives me what it takes to forgive when it hurts or when it doesn't make sense.  He gives me the power to endure almost anything.

He makes me....me.

Why are we inviting you to church?

We want you to have some of what we have.  It's nice to meet some friends who aren't competing with us - rather they want the best for us.  It's nice to be a part of something bigger than ourselves.

Why are we inviting you to church?

We want the best for you and we believe that Jesus is vital to that happening.  Honestly, we have a hard time explaining that - but it's what we mean.

No, we don't think you are wrong, or weak, or broken.  We aren't inviting you to church out of pity.  We are inviting you out of love.  Maybe that's why it's so awkward.

We'll admit it.  Yes, we love you.  There we said it.  Yes, we truly want the best for you.  Yes, we really do think it involves Jesus.  Yes, we know that's weird and misunderstood.

That's why we keep inviting you.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously