Buying your kids Christmas presents

I'm having a tough time with buying presents this year for my kids.  I want to get them all things that they want for several reasons.

1.  They are really good kids.  They can throw their little fits, but ultimately they are just good people.
2.  They aren't really asking for anything.  They are happy with what they got.  They're content.
3.  They are really cute.

That's a dangerous combo for a dad.  I want to get them all some really nice stuff but I don't want to spoil them and ruin the great people that they already are.

I wonder if this is the first Christmas, as a dad, that I have enough money to buy them good stuff without going into consumer debt.  Maybe I'm having a struggle that you can only have when you hit your mid 30's.

My 5th grade son wants a new video game system.  He's not asking for it though.  He would like to have it but he realizes it's pretty expensive.  (He's more mature than I am!)  That makes me REALLY want to get it for him.  So I've got some Christmas money that was given to me and he's got some cash saved up.  So, I can pull the trigger and get him the new game system.

But should I?

In the long run, would it be better for his development to save his money for a whole year and then couple it with the money he gets at Christmas 2016 and then buy it?  Or, should I just let him be a little kid and get a present that is amazing and not make him save up because when he's an adult he won't be able to do stuff like that?

And, if I don't get him that system...what present can I give him that he will remember when he's in his 30's?  What's a present that will last?

Any other parent deal with stuff like this?  How do you not spend every cent on your kids at Christmas?  :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Amanda & I struggle with this, too. We also have great kids. Luke, also, wants a new gaming system (he's asking, though). We've come to a decision, though. For our family the gift-sharing side of this celebration of Christ's birth is based on wants not needs. For example, we won't be giving socks or shoes or underwear. We will bless our family with gifts they wouldn't otherwise get. It's not by merit and it's not necessarily what is requested. We don't break the bank, but we do stick to "wants" because otherwise we'd never get them. We also save all of our cash back and credit card rewards and use that for Christmas gift-buying. We save a ton of money this way. Amanda's idea...She's the smart one!
Unknown said…
Good thoughts. So much of parenting is just making sure we are thinking and being intentional about what we are doing.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously