Dislike

I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years.  I've been very serious about it the past 12 months.  I'm pretty sure it's time for me to delete my Facebook account.  (This is not a judgement of your Facebook usage.  Stop making everything about you.  kidding...maybe)

There are myriad reasons for keeping my Facebook account.  I am a people person.  I'm an extrovert. I like to see what's going on in everyone's life.  I really mean that.  I also like letting everyone know what's going on in mine.

I love having something to talk about with people that I've just met and barely know.  I can comment on one of their postings in real life.  It can open a friendship.

I have made "real life" friends through Facebook.  That's awesome!  That may be the only reason I haven't already deleted the account.

Facebook messenger is a great way for me to communicate within our church family.  I'm worried about what I'd do with out that.

But I don't know if I'm emotionally tough enough to keep Facebook.  Honestly.  I compare myself to you. If I feel that I'm winning the comparison game it makes me feel empty.  If I feel like I'm losing that same game it makes me feel empty too.  Facebook provides me with another world in which I have to think about good/bad and my own inner dialogue.

I waste a lot of time and energy on Facebook.  I feel like I need to look at it or I'm missing what's happening.  Am I really?  Very few of us are truly honest on that site.  Can I really know what's going on in your life through your Facebook account?  No.  It's hard enough to know what's going on in the life of your close friends.  Our feelings change.  We have storms that pass through and they make us a little different.  We grow.  We get hurt.  We hurt.

Maybe I'll take a month off and see what happens.  I don't like that.  I want to make a big decision, not a little one.

Now I'm starting to dread the idea of the dislike button.  I can't imagine what is going to happen if the powers that be at Facebook go through with that button.  It can already be so ugly.

I'm thinking about it too much.  I need to make a decision.  What do you think?  Why do you keep it?  What "rules" have you put on it for yourself?  What boundaries have you created?  What good do you see?

Help me to make the decision.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously