Katy Perry's Parents & "Spiritual Parenting"

Katy Perry's parents came to a church in Bradenton.

Here's a link to the whole article in the Bradenton Herald.  It's a good article.  The reporter does a good job of just telling us what happened when they were at that particular church.  Here's just a piece of the article:



"They don't want you to be spiritual mom and dad?"  If you, as parents, are not supposed to teach your own children about faith how are they supposed to learn it?  That philosophy probably doesn't work in other areas:

Don't teach your kids about sex, they'll find out on their own...uh....

Don't teach your kids about traffic laws, they'll find out on their own....uh....

Don't teach your kids about healthy eating or exercise....

Don't teach your kids how to read....

Don't teach your kids how to be kind....

Don't teach your kids how to...etc...

If "kid's finding it out on their own" doesn't work in other areas of life why do we expect it to work when it comes to matters of faith?  Do we just hope that our kids will find God?  Is that up to God?  I don't think we should be afraid to "push" or "preach" our religious beliefs in our own homes.  If I truly believe that Jesus saves us from our sins and from eternal punishment in hell...I should help my kids understand that truth.  If I believe that Jesus taught us how to find life to the fullest then shouldn't I work with my kids to understand just what He was teaching?

The Bible teaches us to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).  If we only speak truth than we are heartless yellers.  I think many of us are tempted to just stay away from speaking truth because we might have had mean parents or we are afraid that our kids won't like us anymore.  If we only speak love than we lack the teaching, discipline, and training that truly help people grow and find more peace and fulfillment.

The Bible teaches the exact opposite of this philosophy.  This all points back to Deuteronomy 6:4-7, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”


Why do I care about Deuteronomy 6:5?  It’s the shema - the single most important teaching within the Jewish faith.

Deuteronomy 6:20-25, “In the future, when your son asks you, “What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the Lord our God has commanded you?” 

This is Moses (God’s spokesman - 10 commandments guy) literally telling us why we have the Law!

21 tell him: “We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22 Before our eyes the Lord sent signs and wonders—great and terrible—on Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household. 23 But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land he promised on oath to our ancestors. 24 The Lord commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the Lord our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. 25 And if we are careful to obey all this law before the Lord our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness.””

So, why must we teach our kids about faith?  It depends on your faith.

Do you believe that only those saved by Jesus will be in Heaven for eternity and all others will be in hell for eternity?  (I know, I started big right?!)  I want my kids in Heaven so I teach them about Jesus.

Backing up from there...

I teach my kids that God loves them because they will find out in this world that many people don't love them.

I teach my kids that God is in charge because in this world they will be scared at times.

I teach my kids that God created them because they will deal with some level of insecurity and doubt as they move along this world.

believe the BEST thing that a parent can do is to "be spiritual mom and dad."  I want my kids to grow up knowing the truth about the love of God.  It's not to oppress them, it's to give them freedom from so many of the ugly things in our world that can slow them down.

With all this written...I've never met Katy Perry's parents or met anyone at that church.  I just take an issue with that part of his presentation.  I'm sure that Katy's parents love her very much and I'm sure she's very glad to have their love.  And, not one of us is a perfect parent, but I believe teaching our kids about God and life as He made it be is our primary responsibility as parents.

Here's an excerpt from my sermon that I think really fits this idea...



Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously