Tying Your Ship to a Single Anchor

The Greek stoic philosopher Epictetus wrote: “One must not tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope.”

Let me tell you how stupid this is.  It is through discipline and singular devotion that I have found any freedom or happiness in my life.

For example, I have devoted myself to just one woman.  Crazy right?  I have committed to love just one woman for the rest of my life.  I have promised to put her above everyone else that is alive.  I have committed to have sex with just her.  Just one woman…for the rest of my life.  As long as she outlives me (which I’m betting she will), I will never have sex with any other woman for the rest of my life, or for all eternity.  What has that singular devotion brought me?  Gee.  Let me think for a little bit.  Ummm.  It’s brought me the single greatest source of encouragement, purpose, happiness, and “home” that I have ever known!!!!  I’m not sure how it’s possible, but it seems like sex with that “same ol’ woman” has gotten exponentially better each year that we are married.  And that’s just the sex.

What has my singular devotion to my wife brought into my life?  Financial stability in a world of…well…do I even need to go there?  It’s brought me someone who is ALWAYS on my side.  It’s brought me another voice that I will listen to without reservations.  (I say “another” because my voice is the only other one.)  It’s brought me someone to share the journey of life with.

When we didn’t think we would be able to have kids.  She cried on the bed next to me.  I cried for her.  She cried for me.

When I was a lot younger and stood on the rocks staring out over Lake Superior from just north of Two Harbors, MN, she shared it with me.  No one else shares that with me.

We have shared the death of dreams, the birth of desires, and we have seen them through to fruition.  I have seen her become far more than she thought she could be.  She has seen me give up the useless life I used to have in mind to become some boring, middle-aged guy who loves to wake up each morning and live my boring, middle-aged life.

One single anchor.

I’m not sure who Epictetus was, but I’ll bet he wasn’t happy.  Idiot.

Just one woman forever?  Yes.

A single anchor?  Yes.  Singular devotion has brought me a freedom that I didn’t know existed.  This past year I have worked out 3-5 times every single week.  I’ve never been this happy with how I look or feel.  I’m not nearly as strong as I was in high school, but I’m defitely a lot cooler.

A single anchor?  I found out that this was the key to happiness and success in work.  For the first 15 years of my life as a dude that has a career I was always looking for what’s bigger or better.  What bigger church is going to call me to have a better job?  When I moved to Bradenton I gave up that dream for the next 16 years.  I’m 1.5 years in and I’ve never been more pleased with my “career.”  Why?  I’m focused on where I am and I’m not wasting any time or thought on how to land the next job.  Everything I have goes to this church.  All of it.  This “single anchor” has made me a better Pastor, Leader, and…person.  I volunteer now.

A single anchor?  Yes.  A singular devotion has changed everything in my life.  My singular goal for each one of my kids is that they would become the person that God has made them to be in this world.  That’s it.  Basketball?  Sure, but I don’t care.  College?  Sure, but it’s secondary and only if it fits you.  Video games, toys, friends, room, cars, etc.  Only if it’s a piece of the bigger goal.

A single anchor?  Yes.  Singular devotion has changed my life and given me a freedom and happiness that I have never known before.

One marriage to one woman for life = Tim’s freedom

One family = Tim’s freedom

One church = Tim’s freedom

One God = Tim’s freedom

I have decided that I will accept Jesus as my Lord.  That means that my singular devotion, in all this world, is to Him.  That means that I place Him above even myself.  Singular devotion and discipline to God has given me an believable freedom and happiness.


Hebrews 6:19, “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”

I would say that "One MUST tie his or her life to one single anchor."  If you don't you will never experience the freedom that each one of us should have.  Freedom as the loved child of God that we are.  Freedom in knowing that we are anchored to God, the One who is without fault and will never fail.  We are tethered, in an unbreakable bond, to the One who will guide us into an eternal Heaven.

(Quick disclaimer - Even though he is long since dead, I feel bad calling Epictetus and idiot.  It's mean.  Obviously I don't know the guy.  Obviously I'm not wrapping up his entire life in just one phrase that is attributed to him.  So, yes, I understand your objection.)

(Quick disclaimer #2 - Yes, Mindy and I have sex.)

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously