The Dumbest Reason to be Stressed

Do you have any idea what causes me the most stress?

Here are your options:

1) I'm the only Pastor on staff in a church of about 160 people.
2) I am in graduate school and I have 3 books to read and a sermon to write for class in 2 weeks.
3) I have a newly adopted son - 1 month yesterday.
4) I have four children under the age of 10.

Of course it's none of those things.  What causes me the most stress?  Wondering if I am living as well as a person in my similar situation 400 years ago.

Seriously.

Ever since the birth of my first child I have had a reoccurring thought.  I would be sitting at work thinking that I should be with my child and caring for her and training her.  When I was at home I would think that I need to be at work taking care of all those responsibilities.  This is about the time that I started wondering if I had what it took to live 400 years ago, when life was family and work all mixed up together (by the way, that's a really faulty perception).  Why can't I just have everything all at the same time?

At least 3-4 days a week I get stressed thinking about how I am stacking up to Tim from the 1600's.

Now that I have recognized and admitted it I hope it won't cause me as much anxiety.

What dumb things stress you out?

Comments

Kelsea Kult said…
HA! This is great. I, too, stress about what I think can be the dumbest things. Instead of thinking of my life 400 years ago, I like to think to myself: If I were a character in the Bible, how would people be critiquing my character? Would they say, 'I can't believe Kelsea doubted God when He so clearly showed her and told her of His faithfulness so many times!'? Ha, silly people we are! Thanks for the reminder to just let go of the stress!
goofyswiff said…
Icing... will it be the right consistency for the cupcakes, will the color look right as it dries. How does it taste to others? Will they like it? Does this batch taste as good as the last batch did? or will it be better? Marie Antoinette was not the cake maker...obviously, or she would have said let them eat toast.

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously