The land I will give you (Exodus 23)

I got an iPhone last December and I installed Logos Bible Software on it.  I was looking through it and found a “read the Bible in a year” feature.  I thought it would be neat to say that I have read the entire Bible on a phone.  I am now somewhere in Numbers.  It has been fun and it’s a great way to stay on top of my personal Bible reading.  Now what actually matters to this particular post.  In the course of reading the Bible for no other purpose than to simply apply it to my life, I ran across this gem in Exodus 23:29-30.
“I will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the wild beasts multiply against you.  Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and possess the land.”
The second half of Exodus chapter 23 is a really good read.  God is informing the Israelites just how He intends to drive out their enemies so that they may take the good land that God has promised to them.  He gives the people some very specific instructions, like pay attention to the angel, don’t rebel, worship only God, break up their idols completely, etc.
God then lets them know His timeframe.  It will take a while...on purpose.  I will only give you what you can take care of.  When you have grown big enough, tough enough, smart enough, then I will give you more to take care of.  Notice God did not tell them that they will take it, He tells them that He will give it to them.
For the Christian, patience is realizing that God is at work and we are to be faithful with what He has given to us.  As we are faithful with it, He will give us more.  Sure seems like there may be a couple of other stories like this in the New Testament :)
What land are you looking to possess (metaphorically)?  How has God started to clear the land out for you?  Have you occupied that land?  Are you taking care of that land?  Are you big enough, wise enough, and strong enough to take care of more of the land that you are looking to possess?

Ever wonder why it seems like God is taking forever?  I do.

Comments

Popular Posts

What about your real kids? The most effective way to completely ruin your family. A parable for the church.

Palm Sunday and April Fool's Day

Authentic Manhood - Expect the Greater Reward

Mommy's got a baby in her tummy

Authentic Manhood - Reject Passivity

Discouragement

Adoption Update: We're going to get him!!!!

Breastplate of Righteousness

From Cowden, IL to Jinja, Uganda: Silas' coming home trip!

Authentic Manhood - Lead Courageously